Posts for category: Otolaryngology
Allergies are the sixth leading cause of chronic illness in the United States. Although allergies are so common, that does not mean that diagnosing and treating them is a simple affair. However, medical professionals who specialize in allergies are able to perform tests that help to identify different types of allergy and provide effective treatments. Dr. Andrew J. Pestcoe is an otorhinolaryngologist at The Head and Neck Center, P.C located in Bethlehem, PA. One of his specialties is diagnosing and treating allergies—read on to learn how he can help you.
The Two-Step Process of Allergy Diagnosis
There are two essential steps to allergy diagnosis.
- Medical history: Your medical history can provide your doctor with as much helpful information as the allergy tests themselves. Important details include:
- Past and current health conditions
- Any family history of allergies
- Medications you take on a regular basis
- How long you have been experiencing symptoms of an allergy
- Allergy testing: Along with medical history, allergy skin testing is the most common method for allergy diagnosis. Your doctor will prick the surface of your skin with a tiny amount of allergen. This test can be used with common allergens such as:
- Plant pollens
If you are allergic to one of the substances, your skin will appear red at the site of the prick. If the results from the prick test are not clear, an intradermal test may be used to inject a small amount of allergen under the upper layers of your skin.
In some cases, your Bethlehem doctor may recommend an allergy blood test rather than a skin test. For example, if you are taking certain medications that may interfere with allergy test results or if you have a serious skin condition. In this case, the sample will be sent to a lab and examined for allergen antibodies.
If you live in Bethlehem and you suffer from allergies, call Dr. Pestcoe today at (610) 691-2552 to make an appointment for a consultation.
The medical specialty of otolaryngology essentially deals with conditions and disorders that affect the ENT or ear, nose, and throat region, as well as related neck and head areas. This means that if you’re having any issues with these body parts or regions, such as hearing problems, throat irritation, or allergies, you should see your ENT specialist, Dr. Andrew Pestcoe, here at The Head and Neck Center, P.C. in Bethlehem, PA.
What Do ENT Doctors Do?
ENT doctors are experts in the medical and surgical treatment of these conditions:
- Ear Conditions and Disorders: You may have to visit an ENT specialist if you’re struggling with an ear problem, including an ear infection, hearing loss, ear pain, or ringing in your ears or tinnitus. ENT doctors can likewise treat and manage congenital ear disorders or those that you were born with.
- Nose Disorders and Conditions: ENT doctors typically treat and manage issues that negatively impact the sinuses, nasal cavity, and nose. These issues could impact not only your sense of smell but your breathing as well. If you’re having any issues with your nose, such as sinusitis, nasal congestion, or allergies, you can go to your ENT specialist in Bethlehem, PA, for an accurate diagnosis and proper treatment.
- Throat Conditions and Disorders: These negatively affect your speech, swallowing, eating, singing, and even your digestion. ENT doctors could diagnose, treat, and manage throat problems to help prevent more serious complications.
- Neck and Head Disorders and Conditions Related to the Ears, Nose, and Throat: Aside from treating throat, nose, and ear problems, ENT doctors are likewise experts in managing trauma, tumors, deformities, and diseases of the face and neck. They’re also capable of performing reconstructive and cosmetic surgery, managing issues with the neck and head nerves that control hearing, sight, facial movements, and hearing.
Do You Have Ear, Nose, or Throat Concerns?
Arrange an appointment with Dr. Andrew Pestcoe here at The Head and Neck Center, P.C. in Bethlehem, PA, by dialing (610) 691-2552.