Seasonal allergies affect many of us, making it difficult to enjoy being outside during the spring and summer. Dr. Andrew Pestcoe at The Head and Neck Center in Bethlehem and Allentown, PA. provides comprehensive head and neck services, including diagnosis and treatment of seasonal allergies.
What You Need To Know About Seasonal Allergies
Seasonal allergies come and go with the spring and summer months. Flowering plants, trees, and grasses can cause you to experience:
- Sneezing and coughing
- Itchy, watery eyes
- A runny nose
- Difficulty breathing
You can try over-the-counter allergy medications including antihistamines, decongestants, and nasal sprays. In addition, you can reduce seasonal allergy symptoms if you:
- Vacuum frequently or consider replacing carpeting with solid flooring
- Use hypo-allergenic sheets, pillowcases, and pillows
- Place HEPA filters in your house, especially your bedroom
- Keep your pets off furniture and out of your bedroom
- Keep doors and windows closed in spring and summer to avoid exposure to plant pollens
For long-term relief of seasonal allergies, you should seek out the help of your head and neck specialist. Initially, your doctor may recommend allergy testing, to determine which specific allergens you are allergic to, so you can potentially avoid them. To treat seasonal allergy symptoms, our doctor may recommend:
- Sublingual immunotherapy
- Allergy injections
- Prescription antihistamines and decongestants
When you suffer from allergies, it can bring on an asthma attack, making it difficult to breathe. Our head and neck specialist may also test your lung function with spirometry and other tests. If you suffer from asthma in addition to allergies, your doctor may recommend:
- Short-term rescue inhalers for acute asthma episodes
- Long-term asthma medications to manage asthma
Want To Know More?
To find out more about how to reduce seasonal allergy symptoms, and allergy testing and treatment, call Dr. Andrew Pestcoe at The Head and Neck Center in Bethlehem and Allentown, PA. You can reach him in the office by calling (610) 691-2552, so call today.